The following is a list of airports for events in Carbondale. Price and proximity are probably the first thing to research. Prices and frequency of flights vary throughout the year. While Denver usually has the least expensive flight and car rental, it is a longer (3.5 hours and very scenic) drive to Carbondale. Of the remaining three airports, Grand Junction is the largest and least affected by weather.
Aspen ASE – 30 min. from Carbondale. Easiest. Most expensive.
Eagle/Vail EGE – 45 min. from Carbondale. This is a great option during the snowier months as less flights get diverted compared to Aspen.
Grand Junction GJT – 90 min. from Carbondale – best option for the snowy months as it’s located in the more arid/desert area of Western CO. We repeat: this is a great airport to use when snow is a potential: snowy months include November and April, sometimes even October and May!
Denver DIA – 3-4 hours from Carbondale. Least expensive airport to fly into, but sometimes, not by much. During times of snow, it is not a pleasant drive from Denver as you go over two mountain passes. If you are flying into Denver and traveling to us during a month when it could potentially snow (likely in April and November, but could also happen in October and May!), a rental car with AWD or 4WD is highly recommended.
Denver: All major car rental agencies are located at Denver airport. There is also a shuttle company that will take you to Carbondale. Once you get to Carbondale, you will need a car to get back and forth to Flying Dog Ranch, or carpool with other students. Relatively new on the scene is the “Bustang,” a bus that goes from Union Station in downtown Denver to Glenwood Springs and back everyday at various times…this could be a fun option, especially if you can set up a rideshare or rental car from Glenwood, which is 20 minutes away from Carbondale. Click here to view the schedule for the Bustang West Line to Glenwood.
Aspen: All major car rental agencies are located at Aspen Airport. You can also take the local bus (RFTA) from the airport to Carbondale. Click here to view the RFTA “down valley” bus schedule that would take you from the Aspen airport to Carbondale. It drops you off at the Carbondale Park and Ride, so a friend could pick you up there, or, there is a free RFTA connector bus that loops through Carbondale every 10 minutes that could get you closer to where you are staying.
Eagle/Vail: You will find all major car rental agencies at this airport.
Grand Junction: Transit Van Shuttle offers services to Carbondale. All major car rental agencies are located at this airport.
Note: Uber is available in Aspen, and starting to have a presence in Carbondale.
Directions to Flying Dog Ranch
1625 County Road 111, Carbondale CO 81623
The Flying Dog Ranch Retreat is located between Glenwood Springs and Aspen off Highway 82, in Carbondale. Take the Carbondale exit and drive south on Highway 133, approximately 2.6 miles to Prince Creek Road/County Road 111. Turn left onto Prince Creek Road and go 1.5 miles. Flying Dog Ranch is on the right-hand side. Please park in the designated parking lot, the first one on the right. There is ample room to park in the main parking lot; do not park on the side of the road here, as you will run the risk of having your car towed.
www.airbnb.com You can usually find a variety of budgets and lodging options via Airbnb.
A local yogini has a short-term rental, it’s in a great location! Felicia Trevor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Avalanche Ranch (Carbondale): A very special spot, closer to Flying Dog Ranch but often sold out months in advance due to its small size.
12863 St. Hwy 133 Carbondale
877-963-9339 or 970-963-2846
Carbondale Crystal River KOA: closer to Flying Dog Ranch
Located about 6 miles outside of Carbondale along Highway 133 south
Camping and cabins
Comfort Inn & Suites (Carbondale)
920 Cowen Dr. Carbondale: this is a very central location
Crystal Dreams Bed & Breakfast & Spa
475 Redstone Blvd. Redstone, CO
Note: Redstone is further up Highway 133, beyond Avalanche Ranch. It’s a great location if the training takes place at Flying Dog.
950 Cowen Dr. Carbondale: this is a very central location
Call the local number above to reserve, and please make sure you mention ParaYoga as they will have a special rate for you.
150 Main St in downtown Carbondale: gorgeous rooms, and in a very central location 970-963-7008
499 Market St. in Basalt, across from Whole Foods 970-340-404
The Hotel Denver (Glenwood Springs)
Restaurants (our top picks below)
Carbondale: Here is a website that lists our amazing local restaurants. Dinner reservations are recommended for weekend nights.
• Allegria: 335 Main Street (970) 963-7316
• Bonfire Coffee: 433 Main Street (970) 510-5327
• Brass Anvil: 348 Main Street (970) 510-5794
• Dos Gringos Burritos: 588 Highway 133 (970) 704-0788
• The Goat Kitchen & Bar: 995 Cowen Dr #103 (970) 963-4628
• Izakaya: 225 Main Street (970) 340-4225
• Ming Cafe: 901 Highway 133 (970) 340-4941
• Phat Thai Restaurant: 343 Main Street (970) 963-7001
• Silo Culinary Productions: 1909 Dolores Way (970) 963-1909
• Granetta Panini: 54 N. 4th St (970) 230-2817 (you can text your order the night before for lunchtime pickup)
• True Nature Healing Arts: 100 N. 3rd St (970)-963-9900 (lunch only)
• Village Smithy Restaurant: 26 South 3rd Street (970) 963-4599 (lunch only)
•White House Pizza: 801 Main Street (970) 704-9400
• Capital Creek Brewery 371 Market Street (970) 279-5723
• El Korita: 251 Harris St, Basalt, CO 81621 (970) 277-4500
• Heathers: 166 Midland Ave Basalt, (970) 927-0151
• Tempranillo: 165 Midland Ave Basalt (970) 927-3342
• Tipsy Trout: 181 Basalt Center Circle (970) 927-9301
• Whole Foods:340 Reed St, Basalt, CO 81621 (970) 927-1500
• Juicy Lucy’s: 308 7th Street, (970) 945-4619
• Masala and Curry: 730 Cooper Ave (970) 945-9898
• Nepal Restaurant: 6824 Hwy 82, (970) 945-8803
• The Pullman: 330 7th Street (970) 230-9234
• Brava Trattoria 809 Grand Ave (970) 930-6099
• True Nature Healing Arts, 100 N. 3rd St in Carbondale (970)-963-9900
Schedule your pre/post-training massage/body treatments here!
True Nature also features yoga, a labyrinth, a reflexology path, a boutique, and healthy/easy food options.
• Avalanch Hot Springs 12863 CO-133, Redstone, CO 81623 (970) 963-2846
• Hot Springs Pool in Glenwood (970) 945-6571
• Iron Mountain Hot Springs in Glenwood (970) 945-4766
• Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves in Glenwood (970) 945-0667
• Penny Hot Springs: up Hwy. 133, just past Avalanche on the left, look for a big turnout
Health Food Stores
• Mana Foods: 792 Highway 133 Carbondale
• Whole Foods: 340 Reed St, Basalt
• Natural Grocers: 127 E Meadows Dr, Glenwood Springs