The following is a list of airports for events in Carbondale. Price and proximity are probably the first thing to research. Prices and frequency of flights vary throughout the year. While Denver usually has the least expensive flight and car rental, it is a longer drive to Carbondale. Of the remaining three airports, Grand Junction is the largest and least affected by weather.
Aspen ASE – 30 min. from Carbondale. Easiest. Most expensive.
Eagle/Vail EGE – 45 min. from Carbondale. This is a great option during the snowier months as less flights get diverted compared to Aspen.
Grand Junction GJT – 90 min. from Carbondale – best option for the snowy months as it’s located in the more arid/desert area of Western CO. We repeat: this is a great airport to use when snow is a potential: snowy months include November and April, sometimes even October and May!
Denver DIA – 3-4 hours from Carbondale. Least expensive airport to fly into, but sometimes, not by much. During times of snow, it is not a pleasant drive from Denver as you go over two mountain passes. If you are flying into Denver and traveling to us during a month when it could potentially snow (likely in April and November, but could also happen in October and May!), a rental car with AWD or 4WD is highly recommended.
Denver: All major car rental agencies are located at Denver airport. There is also a shuttle complay, Epic Mountain Express, that will take you to Carbondale. Once you get to Carbondale, you will need a car to get back and forth to Flying Dog Ranch, or carpool with other students. Relatively new on the scene is the “Bustang,” a bus that goes from Union Station in downtown Denver to Glenwood Springs and back everyday at various times…this could be a fun option, especially if you can set up a rideshare or rental car from Glenwood, which is 20 minutes away from Carbondale. Click here to view the schedule for the Bustang West Line to Glenwood.
Aspen: All major car rental agencies are located at Aspen Airport. You can also take the local bus (RFTA) from the airport to Carbondale. Click here to view the RFTA “downvalley” bus schedule that would take you from the Aspen airport to Carbondale. It drops you off at the Carbondale Park and Ride, so a friend could pick you up there, or, there is a free RFTA connector bus that loops through Carbondale every 10 minutes that could get you closer to where you are staying.
Eagle/Vail: Epic Mountain Express is a shuttle service that can take you from the airport in Eagle to Carbondale. You will find all major car rental agencies at this airport.
Grand Junction: Transit Van Shuttle offers services to Carbondale. All major car rental agencies are located at this airport.
Note: Uber and Lyft have a presence in Aspen but not in Carbondale––you can use them to get from Aspen’s airport to Carbondale, but they don’t service Carbondale otherwise.
We recommend that you post a message on the event’s private Facebook page to find other students to share a rental car or share a ride with. Directions for joining the FB page can be found on each event page.
Directions to Flying Dog Ranch
1625 County Road 111, Carbondale CO 81623
The Flying Dog Ranch Retreat is located between Glenwood Springs and Aspen off Highway 82, in Carbondale. Take the Carbondale exit and drdive south on Highway 133, approximately 2.6 miles to Prince Creek Road/County Road 111. Turn left onto Prince Creek Road and go 1.5 miles. Flying Dog Ranch is on the right hand side. Please park in designated parking lot, the first one on the right. There is ample room to park in the main parking lot; do not park on the side of the road here, as you will run the risk of having your car towed.
Directions to the Missouri Heights Schoolhouse
498 Country Road 102, Carbondale, CO 81623
When trainings take place up at the ParaYoga studio, we park at the Historic Missouri Heights Schoolhouse. From the town of Carbondale to the Schoolhouse, the turnoff for Country Road 100 is at the stoplight where, coming from Carbondale, you’d see the Catherine Store gas station on your right; you’ll turn left at that light. So, if you are coming from Aspen, Basalt/Willits, Catherine Store will be on your left and you’ll make a right there. You’ll quickly start ascending the hill to reach Missouri Heights; lots of curves on this road at first, drive carefully. Just shy of 2 miles there is a fork in the road; bear right here onto County Road 102 and you will see the Schoolhouse ahead of on your right. Park in the parking lot; when the parking lot is full, you can park on the side of the driveway that is behind the Schoolhouse or even on the main road, but avoid parking on the big curve that wraps around the Schoolhouse.
www.airbnb.com You can usually find a variety of budgets and lodging options via Airbnb. Here’s a few that we recommend:
Carbondale Guest Suite Affordable and close to everything.
“X-Country Ski House” in Carbondale is a house with multiple rooms for rent in downtown Carbondale. If you rent a room with other people renting rooms in this house, it feels like a friendly hostel. If you and other ParaYogis rent it out, it will feel like a home away from home. This link goes to the biggest room. The smaller rooms in this house can be found here: Room #1, Room #2, Room #3, Room #4
Here’s a 2 bedroom place that is centrally located: “Stylish Condo in Downtown Carbondale”
Houses in Missouri Heights (20 minutes to Flying Dog):
A room share with seriously amazing personality (both home and Shaine the owner): https://abnb.me/iHNPYbzFkX. One of the best views in the valley!
VRBO # is 443835 and Frank’s number is 803-730-4239 Frank Hart, the owner, loves it when ParaYoga students rent his house as “they are so much more clean and considerate than the typical client” and so he offers our students discounts! 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with beautiful views of Mt. Sopris and located on 10 acres with a hot tub and beautiful galley kitchen. Steam shower located in Master bedroom. Washer dryer. Fire place and wood is provided.
Another house we suggest is up in Missouri Heights. Besides being beautiful, restful, nicely appointed and very clean, this is a good option for trainings that take place at Flying Dog (about a 20 minute drive away). It has two bedrooms, one bath, a fully appointed open kitchen/living room, private entrance and covered patio with stellar views of Sopris. Suitable for two roomies or a couple (up to 4 people max.). For rates and availability contact Chris Chapman, 970 963 9580.
Airbnb #9989143, a lovely spot in the Iron Bridge neighborhood of Glenwood Springs. It sits in an amazing setting on the river with huge river views up and down the valley, and a beautiful view of Mt. Sopris. It is a one bedroom with and additional comfy pullout queen sofa bed, fully equipped kitchen, large bathroom with a washer/dryer. It is full of light with a large 10′ picture window looking out at the river. It is also very private with its own entrance and patio.
Avalanche Ranch (Carbondale): closer to Flying Dog Ranch
12863 St. Hwy 133 Carbondale
877-963-9339 or 970-963-2846
Carbondale Crystal River KOA: closer to Flying Dog Ranch
Located about 6 miles outside of Carbondale along Highway 133 south
Camping and cabins
Comfort Inn & Suites (Carbondale)
920 Cowen Dr. Carbondale: this is a very central location
Crystal Dreams Bed & Breakfast & Spa
475 Redstone Blvd. Redstone, CO
Note: Redstone is further up Highway 133, beyond Avalanche Ranch. It’s a great location if the training takes place at Flying Dog, but too long a drive if the training takes place at ParaYoga/Missouri Heights Schoolhouse.
Dandelion Inn: Located at 66 – N. 2nd Street, just off Main Street and right next to the Rio Grande Trail in downtown Carbondale, the Dandelion Inn is a playful and refreshing take on a 1970’s chalet-style home. The Inn offers 4 unique, light-filled rooms starting at $110, as well as several off-street parking spaces and bicycles for use by guests.
950 Cowen Dr. Carbondale: this is a very central location
Call the local number above to reserve, and please make sure you mention ParaYoga as they will have a special rate for you.
150 Main St in downtown Carbondale: gorgeous rooms, and in a very central location 970-963-7008
499 Market St. in Basalt, across from Whole Foods 970-340-4040
Located on the road to Ski Sunlight, about 20 minute drive to Flying Dog
The Hotel Denver (Glenwood Springs)
Felicia (“Flash”) Trevor: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2 rooms available for rent)
Nannette Weinhold: email@example.com
(1 room available for rent)
Need a place to stay the night before you fly home out of Grand Junction?
“Mesa View Hideaway” is also know as the “ParaYogi Pit Stop” and is owned by one of our certified teachers, Deb Weller. Email her directly to book in order to get the PY discount: firstname.lastname@example.org
Restaurants (our top picks are in boldface)
• Allegria: 335 Main Street (970) 963-7316
• The Beat: organic eatery on 968 Main Street (970) 510-5134
• Bonfire Coffee: 433 Main Street (970) 510-5327
• Dos Gringos Burritos: 588 Highway 133 (970) 704-0788
• El Pollo Rico: 952 Highway 133 (970) 963-0579
• The Goat Kitchen & Bar: 995 Cowen Dr #103 (970) 963-4628
• Izakaya: 225 Main Street (970) 340-4225
• Ming Cafe: 934 Highway 133 (970) 340-4941
• Phat Thai Restaurant: 343 Main Street (970) 963-7001
• Roosters: 348 Main Street (970) 510-3181
• AXKAWA: 46 N. 4th St (970) 510-5363
• Silo Culinary Productions: 1909 Dolores Way (970) 963-1909
• Granetta Panini: 54 N. 4th St (970) 230-2817 (you can text your order the night before for lunchtime pickup)
• Mi Casita: 580 Main St (970) 963-5866
• True Nature Healing Arts: 100 N. 3rd St (970)-963-9900
• Village Smithy Restaurant: 26 South 3rd Street (970) 963-4599
• The Way Home: 689 Main Street (970) 510-5417
•White House Pizza: 801 Main Street (970) 704-9400
• Bella Mia: 60 El Jebel Rd # 108, Carbondale, CO 81623 (970) 963-2600
•Capital Creek Brewery 371 Market Street (970) 279-5723
• El Korita: 251 Harris St, Basalt, CO 81621 (970) 277-4500
• Heathers: 166 Midland Ave Basalt, (970) 927-0151
• Tempranillo: 165 Midland Ave (970) 927-3342
• Riverside Grill: 181 Basalt Center Circle (970) 927-9301 (only if it’s warm enough to eat outside on their deck)
• Sushi Ya Go-Go 60 El Jebel Road Suite 103 (970) 963-0155
• Whole Foods:340 Reed St, Basalt, CO 81621 (970) 927-1500
• Juicy Lucy’s: 308 7th Street, (970) 945-4619
• Masala and Curry: 730 Cooper Ave (970) 945-9898
• Nepal Restaurant: 6824 Hwy 82, (970) 945-8803
• Fin’s Grille & Raw Bar: 710 Grand Avenue (970) 945-4771
• The Pullman: 330 7th Street (970) 230-9234
• True Nature Healing Arts, 100 N. 3rd St in Carbondale (970)-963-9900
Schedule your pre/post-training massage/body treatments here
True Nature also features yoga, labyrinth, reflexology path, a boutique and healthy/easy food options.
• Avalanch Hot Springs 12863 CO-133, Redstone, CO 81623 (970) 963-2846
• Harmony Scott Jewelry: priestess adornments galore! 199 Main Street Carbondale
• Hot Springs Pool in Glenwood (970) 945-6571
• Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves in Glenwood (970) 945-0667
• Penny Hot Springs: up Hwy. 133, just past Avalanche on the left, look for big turnout
• Glenwood Caverns in Glenwood: (970) 945-4228
Health Food Stores
• Mana Foods: 1310 Highway 133 Carbondale (970) 618-3275
• Whole Foods: 340 Reed St, Willits, (970) 927-1500
• Vitamin Cottage: 100 W Meadows Dr Ste B Glenwood Springs, (970) 945-7000;
• True Nature Healing Arts: 100 N. 3rd St in Carbondale (970)-963-9900
• Ellen Rice: A talented energy worker and student of Yogarupa’s, Ellen has a practice above the Village Smithy in downtown Carbondale and offers singing bowl and crystal therapy as well as Qigong healing sessions. (303) 903-0661
• Yampah Spa & Salon: 709 E. Sixth St., Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
• Need a massage therapist to come to you? Liz Colin is amazing! (970) 618-0765