Welcome to Secrets of the Sutras!
This training unlocks the hidden wisdom and practices of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra, the seminal text that threads together the diverse teachings of Yoga. Learn and experience from master teacher Yogarupa Rod Stryker, how the Yoga Sutra is so much more than “the eight limbs”. Access the hidden teachings that illuminate the ultimate path for practitioners and teachers wishing to experience or be able to share the authentic heart of Yoga.
As human beings, our supreme potential unfolds in the state of Yoga. This state is the revelation of perfect clarity, limitless intelligence, lasting peace, and freedom in action. Yoga practice – culminating in the heights of wisdom and compassion – can be defined as those processes that enable us to become what in our heart of hearts we aspire to be. Written around 200 C.E., Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra defines the journey of yoga more clearly and systematically than any text before or after.
Secrets of the Sutras is based on a 40-hour, 5-day training and is comprised of 103 videos organized into 24 chapters. It counts fully toward the ParaYoga Master Training Program.
The transcendent wisdom of the Yoga Sutra integrates the sciences of awakening body, mind, breath, soul, spirit, and creator. The word ‘sutra’ means “thread”. The text is called the Yoga Sutra because it threads together all the diverse teachings of Yoga into a single body of knowledge. While the Yoga Sutra is intended to be practical, its scope and precision require the guidance of a teacher that can reveal its subtle and hidden power. Study of the Sutras accelerates the journey of personal growth as it deepens understanding of the Divine potential of Yoga and of life itself. By illuminating the practices, challenges, purpose and potential of Yoga as a spiritual journey, the Yoga Sutra maps the path to realizing life’s most precious treasures.
Is this course right for my level?
This course has been designed for dedicated students and teachers of all levels, who want to practice or teach more masterfully.
Each practice brings to life a key teaching of the Yoga Sutra. Emphasizing direct experience, these practices survey relevant and powerful themes of the Yoga Sutra, while weaving together dynamic asana, vinyasa, pranayama and meditation practices. Lecture content and additional practices deepen your exploration of the Yoga Sutra, allowing teachers (and dedicated students) the opportunity to unlock subtle and powerful revelations. This training outlines Yoga’s path toward self–mastery. It illuminates how Yoga, if understood and practiced systematically, can remove any obstacle that keeps you from experiencing your highest aspirations. This is Yoga’s ultimate promise. The Secrets of the Sutras training aims to exhalt teachers and non–teachers alike, providing a vision to see oneself and one’s practice (and/or one’s students’ practice) with sublime understanding, compassion and crystal–like clarity.
The course features a synergistic blend of theory and practice, supporting materials, automated quizzes and various assignments. Lectures progress systematically, focusing on translating the key insights of the ancient tradition and translating them into the practical knowledge. A downloadable 130+ manual with cross-referencing to corresponding videos, provides additional study content. Multiple practices that highlight specific approaches to asana, pranayama and meditation techniques have been partitioned throughout the course, allowing you to easily locate a practice and repeat it again and again. Each of these deepens your understanding of the Yoga Sutras specifically, and yoga as a transformative practice in general.
Automated quizzes have been placed strategically throughout the course, allowing you to assess your comprehension of the main study points. A final assignment encapsulates the entirety of the course. The required reading assignment, The Secret of the Yoga Sutra by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, helps you to further your mastery of the program’s concepts.
Successful completion of the course, including its assignments and required reading, makes you eligible for curriculum credit toward ParaYoga’s Yoga Alliance approved 300-hour Master Yoga Training as well as ParaYoga Certification. We are here to guide you on your journey; if you have any questions, please reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Reading: THE SECRET OF THE YOGA SUTRA by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait
• Comprehensive video lectures translate complex topics into user-friendly language.
• Watch and learn with dynamic visual demonstrations.
• Bring the teachings onto your mat through asana and meditation practices.
• Learn from a master teacher in the comfort of your home.
In this course you will explore:
- Mastery of Asana
- The aim of practice and the steps to achieve it
- The secret teaching of the breath
- The science of meditation
- The power of mantra
- The model of the mind, according to Yoga
- Stages and steps to enlightenment
- The practice of Self-inquiry
- The causes of suffering and the means to reduce them
- Pranayama and the mind
- The role of faith in affecting practice
- The different aims of particular approaches to meditation
- The tantra of the Yoga Sutra
- Mysticism and spirituality: beyond the psychology of the Yoga Sutra
This course is one of four online trainings that comprise the ParaYoga Online Curriculum:
These are the first four and most foundational modules of the
300-hour ParaYoga Master Training Program.
How does it work?
- You will access a downloadable 80 page manual, filled with in-depth supporting documents and images. This copyrighted material is yours to keep and use forever.
- Lectures, practices and specific assignments, all of which have been meticulously organized into 24 chapters, progressively lead you through the course.
- You will be able to repeat all or part of distinct asana, pranayama and meditation practices, each of which has been designed to complement the lecture content. This course is ungated, meaning you can move around the course as you like; we strongly recommend that the first time you move through the course, you do so by following the sequential order.
- The course includes interspersed quizzes with automated features, providing you with instant feedback about your comprehension of the main study points. A scored on each quiz of 80% or higher is required to successfully complete the course.
- Assignments throughout the course are in place to help you integrate what you are learning and do not need to be submitted to ParaYoga. Only the final assignment in the final chapter needs to be submitted.
- Successful completion of the course, including all quizzes, the final assignment and required reading, makes you eligible for curriculum credit toward ParaYoga’s Yoga Alliance approved 300-hour Master Yoga Training as well as ParaYoga Certification.
Looking for some extra guidance with this course? Certified ParaYoga Level 3 teachers are living and practicing the Para Yoga teachings and can help by giving you one-on-one assistance on your journey. Click here to learn more.