Light on the Students
A Devotional Film by DJ Pierce
Q&A with Yogarupa Rod Stryker about ParaYoga
- What is ParaYoga?
ParaYoga is a modern approach to an ancient way of practicing. It draws from ancient and profound insights into the whole person, and uses asana (posture), breath and meditation to benefit much more than just your body. It is a powerful, practical, and highly refined approach that empowers practitioners to thrive in every area of their life, no matter their previous level of experience.
- What are the most essential aspects of ParaYoga?
There are three. The first is its aim to guide students to directly experience the seamless connection between their body, mind, breath, and soul and how, through practice, it is possible to unlock the fullest potential of each.
The second relates to sequencing. The methodical, systematic progression found in every ParaYoga class provides practitioners the opportunity to experience and deepen their understanding of the difference these ancient techniques will make in the quality of their life.
The third essential is all about the power of a clear mind and the significant role that our energy (vital force) plays in shaping the quality of our life. A ParaYoga teacher affects both (mind and vital force) through skillfully weaving asana, breath, intention, and sequencing. Ultimately, this is the basis for how we transform ourselves and realize the ultimate promise of yoga.
- Can people new to yoga practice ParaYoga?
Absolutely. It‘s a joy to open new eyes to the value and wealth that these practices provide. The first step of yoga is the desire to be better. Anyone who wants more happiness and success and can find a qualified teacher will discover why ParaYoga is so prized by those who practice it.
- What is the one thing you most want to teach the world?
The same thing I’ve been teaching for 40 years: inside each of us is a boundless resource of strength, inspiration, and wisdom, and that peace is never far away. Next, I would provide a direct experience of it, through one of the many accessible methods that I teach.
“The ultimate aim of Yoga is to live joyfully and fearlessly. A master teacher embodies this promise and is an inspirational and knowledgeable force, capable of empowering others to fully celebrate all that life has to offer”
From the view of the ancient tradition, “Yoga” means more than being able to do beautiful poses or achieving superb flexibility. It means more than being able to sit quietly in meditation. It even means more than having a pain-free body or a stress-free mind. All of the above may be desirable, but there is only one true barometer for accomplishment in yoga: the quality of your life. In short, the quality of your yoga is measured by the quality of your life. ParaYoga’s perspective is that practice should be empowering you to thrive in every area of your life.
In ParaYoga, we teach that you can vary the way (and what) you practice and that there are many possible outcomes of practice. Each provides unique benefits. In the hands of a skillfull teacher, you will experience practices that address your specific needs – the ones that lead you to greater fulfillment and freedom, increased creative capacity, joy, or even fearlessness.
The aim and reach of ParaYoga to positively influence your life is outlined in six touchstones. The more you experience ParaYoga, the more you will be enabled to:
The Six Touchstones of ParaYoga
- Live your purpose. Experience the priceless joy of fulfilling your unique destiny. The basis for your most contented life and most positively impacting the world is rooted in hearing your soul’s call, then having the insight and the courage to act on it.
- Master yourself by learning to attain a clear and tranquil mind. Utilize the keys to consciously shaping your vital force.
- Embody ultimate balance, health, lasting peace, and freedom by practicing the insights of ancient, time-tested knowledge.
- Become a brilliant light, whereby you embody exemplary leadership, compassion, and wisdom.
- Know your Source. As a result, you learn to see and celebrate your life as a gift. See the magic and rest in the magnificence that is the invisible fabric of this world.
- Share your gifts, and pass on the power and brilliance of your self-knowledge, accomplishments, and experience.
The ParaYoga® experience is supported by certified master teachers who have undergone years of rigorous study, personal practice, and testing. These individuals embody the spirit of ParaYoga and are highly qualified to share their wisdom with others. You can find a ParaYoga certified teacher here, join us at any of our ParaYoga in-person or live-stream events, or study online with us. You can also learn through examples of practices given to you when you enroll in our program.